Level 1 Food Safe Certification for BC Food Handers

About Us:

Safer Food Education has been the leading provider of Foodsafe training in the Cowichan Valley since 1999. Jennifer Smith is a certified Food Safe Level 1 instructor.

About Foodsafe:

FOODSAFE Level 1 is a one day (typically 7 hr.) course that promotes safe food handling and the prevention of foodborne illness. An estimated 4 million cases of food poisoning occur in Canada each year, and statistics show that the number one cause is through food handler error. By making common mistakes we allow micro-organisms to enter our food and make it unsafe or even dangerous to eat. Through videos, slides, instruction, mini quizzes and discussion you’ll learn about the Top Ten Improper Food Handling Practices and the importance of a Food Safety Plan.

We’ll delve into the private lives of several common foodborne microbes and find out how to prevent them from making us sick. Other segments will cover preparing food, knowing which foods need special attention and how important temperature is in storing cooked/raw potentially hazardous foods. We’ll look at hygiene, allergies, when not to work, proper cleaning and sanitizing, dishwashing, pest control and premises requirements

Thermometer in Stew

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to have a FOODSAFE certificate to work as a server?
1) Every operator of a food service establishment must hold a certificate, issued by a health official, for the successful completion of the food handler training program known as FOODSAFE or its equivalent.

2) Every operator of a food service establishment must ensure that, while the operator is absent from the food service establishment, at least one employee present in the establishment holds the certificate referred to in subsection (1).

This means that it is not required by the BC regulation that you have a FOODSAFE Level 1 certificate in order to work as a server. However, some employers require that all their employees have a Level 1 certificate. Also, it is an advantage to have your certificate when applying for jobs.
The FOODSAFE course is about preventing the transmission of foodborne illness and also about worker safety on the job. People who prepare, serve and clean up food should take the course for the safety of the customers and also for their own safety.
To find courses in your area, search the directory found on the Courses page.

Does my FOODSAFE certificate expire?
As of July 29, 2013, all FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued in British Columbia have a five-year expiry date. FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued prior to July 29, 2013, are valid until July 29, 2018. To help FOODSAFE Level 1 certificate holders keep their food safety knowledge up to date, a short FOODSAFE Level 1 * Refresher course is offered online by Open School BC. The approximately three-hour refresher course covers all the essentials of the FOODSAFE Level 1 training program. A grade of 80% must be achieved in the exam to be recertified.

*Update from website:

After January 15, 2019, all individuals with expired certificates will be required to take the Regular FOODSAFE Level 1 course, available online, in person or by distance/correspondence. (Online Refresher course is only available to individuals prior to expiry of their certification)

How do I get a replacement certificate?
FOODSAFE certificates are issued by the Health Authorities and you will need to contact the Health Authority in the region where you took the course to get a replacement certificate. Click here for more information.

Where can I buy an extra Student Workbook?
Crown Publications, Queen’s Printer (QP) publishes and distributes the FOODSAFE curriculum products. You may purchase extra Student Workbooks for you or your business at the Queen’s Printer website.

Is the Student Workbook available in languages other than English?
Yes, the FOODSAFE Level 1 Student Workbook is also available in French, Chinese, Korean and Punjabi. Let your FOODSAFE instructor know in advance if you would like to have your workbook in a language other than English.

Is the exam available in languages other than English?
Yes. Click here for a list of available languages. Let your FOODSAFE instructor know in advance if you would like to have your exam in a language other than English.

FAQs are based on the  BC Foodsafe website

Privacy Statement:

While we strive to protect student data, the security of online data cannot be guaranteed. For this reason we collect only as much personal data as is required to provide our Foodsafe courses in an efficient and effective manner. Safer Food Education uses Google Forms and Google Sheets for the collection and storage of student data. For more information please read the Google Privacy Policy

Contact Us:

Email:  [email protected]
or click link to: Send us an email

Phone: 250-746-4154